Re: Westrail Freight sale

In article <394d8ce2@kastagir.senet.com.au> "T & J Jones" <jonest@senet.com.au> writes:
>From: "T & J Jones" <jonest@senet.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Westrail Freight sale
>Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 18:39:27 +0930

>> The WA SG rail network is almost dead flat,and doesnt need 4000 HP locos.

>I can only assume you've never tried to haul a 4500t 1750m freight train on
>the kalgoorlie - Perth section.

>T&J

No I havnt , but remember that the new buyer of Westrail will not confine its
operations just to WA .
Indeed the WA Govt is encouraging the new buyer to expand its operations.
The Q class have long range fuel tanks which makes them ideal for long run
hauls like Perth - Cook - Adelaide ,and Melb - Sydney - Brisbane,whereas for
runs within WA such as Perth - kalgoorlie=Esperance - leonora  , locos like Gs
or BLs are  much more suitable .
Westrail have 20 Q class ,and I cant imagine that there are 20 ,4500 tonne
trains a day between Perth and kalgoorlie.
At the end of the day the locos will be used where they generate the most
revenue.

MD