[vic]Leongatha line-MLA press release

     The following seems to suggest that the local member of parliament
(supposedly, one would think, the strongest advocate of resuming
passenger rail services to Leongatha), has resigned herself to
campaigning for a resumption of passenger rail services only as far as
Lang Lang.  Lang Lang being the separation point for services to Phillip
Island, Wonthaggi/Inverloch and Leongatha/Yarram.  Perhaps, if the
government is willing to invest in the rehabilitation of Cranbourne to
Nyora (re pass service (gov subsidy to VLine Pass)), then FA will be
able to run trains onto the Nyora-Leongatha section that has been
maintained by the SGR.
     Anyway, perhaps this is a foretaste of what will eventually happen;
after a struggle obviously.

Andrei Souprounovich (brother's internet connection)

found at
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~susandavies/CanweopenSouthGippslandrailline.htm

Can We Re-open the South Gippsland Line ?

Gippsland West MP Susan Davies is urging the community to get behind her
campaign to re-open the South Gippsland train line.

A petition in support of the restoration of the line is now being
circulated throughout the electorate and all households will receive a
train survey from Ms Davies this
week.

Victorian Government has set up Community Reference Groups to
investigate the feasibility of
re-opening closed rail lines.

Ms Davies is part of that Reference Group.

Ms Davies said that a re-opening of the line will not happen without
community support.

"The return of a freight service is very possible and if we can
establish that there is enough interest, a fast rail passenger link from
Lang Lang to the city just might also
happen," said Ms Davies.

Ms Davies said that a rail freight service would reduce heavy vehicle
traffic on the South Gippsland and Bass Highways.

"Larger volumes of freight could be moved with less impact on the
Highway, making the highways much safer as well as reducing maintenance
costs."

"With good connecting bus services from both South Gippsland and the
Bass Coast area, and car parking for drivers, a fast Lang Lang train
would enable many people to
commute in a faster and more comfortable form than they can at present."

Ms Davies added that it seemed unlikely at present that passenger
numbers would be sufficient to justify the costly track upgrade to a
fast rail link all the way to
Leongatha.

"But I'd love to be proved wrong on this," she added.

"In the longer term a passenger rail link through to Leongatha would
help give South Gippslanders the same transport options that others take
for granted."

Ms Davies said that public pressure needed to be exerted on the issue.

"Public support for rail transport, both passenger and freight, must be
solidly demonstrated," she added.

"We will use the petition and survey responses to press for improved
services whether they be bus or train or a combination of the two."

"I have also written to many community groups

Ms Davies urged people to write a letter of support to her electorate
office, fill in the surveys and circulate the petition and by
encouraging others to do the same.

The Department of Infrastructure is currently completing engineering
reports and will also conduct extensive market research on the issue.

"Time presses but I believe we can get our train back," Ms Davies
concluded.