Re: Sth Coast Deisel

Greetings all - In response to all 3 previous messages:
The first train seen heading north from Wollongong was probably off to
Metropolitan Colliery near Helensburgh.  The push-pull consist is used to
avoid shunting and being put away at Waterfall. (Metropolitan can only be
accessed from the north at Metropolitan Junction between Otford and
Helensburgh.)  It has been found quicker to use 2 crews and a push pull
consist than to:
take the train to Waterfall, cut off, run around train, couple up, test the
airbrakes, go back to back track to Metrop Junction, load the train, cut
off, run around train, couple up, test the airbrakes, go back to Waterfall,
cut off, run around train, couple up, test the airbrakes and then take the
loaded train to the Port Kembla Coal Loader.  Extended waits usually
occurred at Waterfall as the freight trains had to be slotted in around
scheduled Cityrail services.

The second train sighted at Robertson was probably coming from Tahmoor
colliery with a load of export coal for the Port Kembla coal  loader.  The
empties go up the "hill" to Moss Vale and then swing north on the Main
South.  Access to Tahmoor colliery loading balloon loop is only from the
north.  The push-pull consist is used to avoid shunting at Picton, reduce
the time the Main South is tied up, and to keep this coal traffic clear of
Sydney.  Motive power is usually 81 or 82 class in any combination (2 x 81,
1 x 81+1 x 82, or 2 x 82) on this run.

The push-pull consists only run when the collieries have export orders to
fulfil.  I am not too sure of the status of Metrop colliery.  Supposedly
they ceased mining coal mining about Christmas time last year.  They may be
rail loading point for other collieries.  Any info on how Metrop is being
used  at present would be appreciated.  Thanks, John Garaty

James C - details snipped..