Re: Hijack [QLD] now Former BNE rail features

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 00:35:22 +1000, Rob Kearey <robk@powerup.com.au> wrote:

>In Brisbane, picking the site of Nyanda station earns no points. The
>site of Doboy station, however, gets a few.
>
>Extra points for those who can replicate the gharstly hacking, wheezing
>and spitting of the workers who ingressed at Doboy. [shudder]
>
>Q Fever!
>
>> David Johnson
>
>--
>Rob Kearey  [

I agree Dobey is difficult. I even checked on a map which has it marked.

Gloucester St is another hard one because [a] many don't realise it was ever there [b] the cleanup
gang did a good job. It closed in 1978 when high level carriages were introduced with the opening of
the Merivale Bridge .

Another hard one is the site of the Sunnybank WYE [triangle]. The answer is between Dixon St and
Feltwell St. On the present day street maps Dixon and Feltwell are joined and form a continuous
street. The WYE used to separate the two streets.

Want more?   Ask someone born after 1970 why there is a Railway Hotel at the Gabba!!  Than place
this youthful person between "Southside Ford" and "Armstrongs Holden" at the Gabba and try and tell
them that locos [ steam and diesel] used to cross Ipswich Rd there.

Still more; Attempt to follow the former line between Bethania and Beenleigh as you pass by in an
airconditioned EMU. Hint; Eden's Landing was built post Merivale Bridge opening, although a look at
the construction style will tell you it is not of the same vintage as the rest of the stations.

I won't start on the Newstead line to the CSR sugar refinary! Although, I wonder if the people who
used to visit Paddy's Markets in the old wool stores along near Dalgetty's Wharves ever realised
that Goods trains used to pass by not that long ago?

Cheers
Peter
Peter & Susan Cokley
petan @ powerup.com.au
http://www.welcome.to/petan
For personal replies to this message, remove NOSPAM from our address to avoid bounced mail.