Re: [NSW] More destination indicator woes

David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> Eric Cartman wrote:
>
> > I'll ask an obvious question here
> >
> > How come CityRail can't get their indicators on the trains to work but
State
> > Transit don't seem to have any problems. Are they the same type of
> > indicator?
>
> Tonight, the indicator at the Bondi end of the train was not working, so I
> notified defects.  They said "We don't handle them".  When I got the train
into
> Mortdale sheds, and told the supervisor, he said "I'm not worried about
that".
> Luckily, the indicator had failed showing Bondi Junction, but next time
the
> train is turned, it will be wrong.
>

> --
> David Johnson
> trainman@ozemail.com.au
> http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/
> ------------------------------------
> These comments are made in a private
> capacity and do not represent the
> official view of State Rail.
> C.O.W.S. Page 11.

Some years ago (30?) I suggested to the then PTC that they display the train
run number in the front window of trains so that in the event of
transpositions etc the platform staff at the major city stations could
confirm the identity of each train.  I even suggested the numbers could be
printed on cardboard so it wouldn't cost too much.

Now we have destination indicators which don't work and those which do
display an incorrect destination only serve to confuse the poor
long-suffering public.  During one trip into Sydney recently I saw several
trains without any destinations displayed - the one I did see arrive at
Wynyard displayed Emu Plains, the platform indicator and announcement said
it was going to Riverstone.

30 years down the track commuters (and taxpayers) have paid for whizz-bang
technology which CityRail are incapable of maintaining, and the situation
still exists as back then - in the event of transposition of trains there is
utter confusion and snowballing delays when - the indicator has been
changed, this train will now be stopping at....................

Regards

David Bennetts