Re: Swanston Trams & W-Class

>On channel 9 they claimed the sand was insulating the wheels from the
>track and somehow this would electrocude people. I'm guessing they think
>it might happen when people are getting on or off, because I don't see
>how it can happen when they are on the tram.

This is a problem that drivers are trained for, but it rarly occurs

If interested this is how they fix it

1.	Warn passengers to remain on tram
2.	Apply hand brake
3.	Turn on lights
4.	Leave tram, don't touch or grab rails or stanchions
5.	Pull down pole
6.	Ask passengers to leave tram
7.	If available, throw water on dirty tracks under wheels
8.	Replace pole on overhead
9.	If lights glow normally -  problem is rectified, reseat
passengers and  inform Tram Control Center or dirty track
10.	If lights do not work properly - POLE DOWN
11.	Contact Tram Control Center

In case anybody asks, one way to tell if you have an insulated tram is
the lights inside the tram glow faintly like they are not getting
enough power..so if you turn on the lights you can tell if it is still
insulated once you finish the procedure.

The water over the wheels is to wash away the dirt/sand between the
tracks and the wheels so the tram can "earth" with the tracks (the one
time that I have ever seen this occur the driver used a can of coke to
clean the tracks...as long as it's wet, thats all that matters.)