Re: ATN in [Victoria]

In article <aIm%4.107$km1.685661@news0.optus.net.au> dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) writes:
>From: dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
>Subject: Re: ATN in [Victoria]
>Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 07:19:34 GMT

>Maurie Daly (mauried@tpg.com.au) wrote:
>> A freight based railway needs to haul big volumes of freight to survive,

>No it doesn't. Niche markets can be quite profitable.

Can you give us some examples?
The only private rail companies in Australia who are currently making any
profit at all are ASR and ATN in Tasmania,both of whom bought a vertically
integrated railway with NO competition.

>> Splitting the market for grain haulage between two players means that there
>> isnt enuf for both to survive

>Unless one takes some of the grain currently carried by road.

Havnt noticed recently large fleets of grain trucks arriving in Melb from the
Western district.
I think you will find that curently just about all the grain is railed.
The only grain that is trucked is that from farms to silos.

>> FA bought Vline freight ,and should be entitled to operate under the same
>> conditions that Vline freight operated under.

>Rubbish.

Why rubbish.
Just exactly what did FA buy ,if they didnt buy Vline freight?
Vline freight had no competition when it operated.