Re: ATN in [Victoria]

> From: dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
> Newsgroups: aus.rail
> Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 07:19:34 GMT
> Subject: Re: ATN in [Victoria]
>
> Maurie Daly (mauried@tpg.com.au) wrote:
>> A freight based railway needs to haul big volumes of freight to survive,
>
> No it doesn't. Niche markets can be quite profitable.
>
>> Splitting the market for grain haulage between two players means that there
>> isnt enuf for both to survive
>
> Unless one takes some of the grain currently carried by road.
>
>> FA bought Vline freight ,and should be entitled to operate under the same
>> conditions that Vline freight operated under.
>
> Rubbish.
>
> Cheers
> David

Apart from Norway, Sweden and Holland which are a joke anyway, tell me of a
system where more than one rail operator competes over the same tracks and
anyone makes any money.

In my crystal ball I see the operators in Aus killing each other and ending
up with the crumbs with road getting the cream. Kennet and his economic
rationalists will be seen as much greater rail vandals than the kids that
kick the windows out of Comeng's.

Mark