Re: Main western line victoria action

Hi Yuri,

> Mind you, none of the tunnel/bridges on the South Dynon Junction /
> Tottenham / Brooklyn / Geelong line can accommodate double stack trains
> either, and none have been modified either, but let's not let facts get in
> the way of an obviously politically "stacked" decision.  (How NR intended
> to get the double-stack trains through the Adelaide Hills escapes me.)

The good folks at Booz Allen in DC did a cost study and
concluded that via Ballarat was the cheapest to operate.
Politics then intervened apparently.

Clearance works through the Adelaide Hills could have
followed the pattern of the many lines which have now been
opened to stacks in the US. Lowering the tracks under
bridges, lowering the floor of tunnels and notching the
roof. No big deal just basic civil engineering works. I
remember in the early nineties seeing an ad in the
Australian calling for expressions of interest for double
stack clearance work in the Adelaide Hills. Guess the line
was built to a very tight budget. A pity that it was not
opened at stack clearance from day one and that train have
to be "filleted" at Dry Creek.

Regards

GT