Re: Main western line victoria action

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000 23:47:41 +1000, "James C" <jamesccj@optusnet.com.au>
wrote, and I selectively quote:

>Ballarat line(Sunshine-Ballarat section)  also can't generate as much
>freight as Ararat-(Via Cresey) Geelong-Melbourne line

Neither line "generates" freight.  There's no significant rail-based
industry on either line, no loops/sidings at Geelong.

IIRC, the original investigations of the two SG lines included NR's
condition that the line be available for double-stacking.   NR also didn't
want passenger trains getting in the way of their freight trains.

The grades at Ingliston and Warrenheip were offset by the shorter distance
Melbourne to Ararat via Ballarat.  The only overbridge built to accommodate
double stacking trains was the bridge over the top of the grade between
Ararat and Buangor.

There was a vigourous campaign mounted by Ballarat at the time to lobby the
"powers-that-be" to route the SG through Ballarat with offers of subsidies
for railway operators needed to locate service facilities there.

In the end the cost of rebuilding Melton Weir bridge and overbridges to
take the double stack trains over the suburban lines at Sunshine tipped the
scales against the Ballarat line.  This was a "paper dollar" war based on a
lot of "what ifs".

Mind you, none of the tunnel/bridges on the South Dynon Junction /
Tottenham / Brooklyn / Geelong line can accommodate double stack trains
either, and none have been modified either, but let's not let facts get in
the way of an obviously politically "stacked" decision.  (How NR intended
to get the double-stack trains through the Adelaide Hills escapes me.)

Regards

Yuri
--
Yuri J Sos