SLR - Extension work proceeding and the RTL

 Some one asked last time I posted, how the RTL got its drive traction,
I think this photo answers that one -

"http://www.sleeper.apana.org.au/railway/slr/images/Extension Construction/06_June/dscn2620.jpg"

 You can see the tyres being deformed at the railhead. They obviously have
some weight on them, and while it not all that clear, there is no apparent
drive mechanism (say hydraulic motors) on the rail wheels.

 I also walked the route for 'Inner West, stage 2' to Norton St, Leichhardt.
This one is ambitious. Not only is there extensive street running,
(William St from the former tram depot, turn into Norton St and run up
the hill a few blocks to just short of Marion St), but the spot where
they would turn off the goods line is down a deep cutting. They would
have to cut a tunnel portal into the side of cutting just up from
Balmain Rd and have a steep climb out of the cutting under the new City West
road to surface some where near the entrance to the Leichhardt tram^H^H^H^Hbus
depot to get to William St. This is possible as there is empty land beside
the depot, but it would probably cost a lot more to build that extension that
the current 'stage 1' extension, due to the tunnel/ramp alone.