Re: Most hated trains in Australia! :-) (was: Favourite train/tram [Aus wide])

"James C" <jamesccj@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
393cb1eb$0$8452$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:393cb1eb$0$8452$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> I was going to post this question on Sunday night but I'm afraid of there
> would be people list interstate rolling stocks as their hate list (such as
> NSWish list B class as garbage and Vic list 90 class as hate list) and
hence
> arguments.

Subjective things (such as likes and dislikes) are not open to argument,
since they rely on personal preferences.

Objectively though, if one is referring to what is "garbage" one needs to
consider a range of factors, the main one for me being fitness for intended
purpose.

Using this criteria, my most hated would be the NSW G-sets and Endeavour
railcars, their design and the inconsistencies between them.

This is mainly in regard to things such as seating (designed at around the
same time, Endeavours do much longer journeys but have non-reversible
seating, G-sets have reversible for shorter journeys), drinking water
(available on G-sets, not on Endeavours) and a few other things that appear
somewhat incongruous.

90 class are fine for their intended purpose, as are the B class, although
they are getting a little bit long in the tooth. The ultimate purpose of a
railway is to move people or freight from point A to point B as efficiently
as possible, and using equipment that is inefficient will ultimately mean
less traffic on the railways, less trains running, and less for us to argue
about.

</SOAPBOX>

Dave