Re: St James problems

Hubert, looks like the St James PIDS system is a problem!

The screens at St James seem to be running in manual mode - this afternoon
(1/6/00) it took 3 station assistants and 1 "other" SRA person to control
it.  Between 4:20pm and 5pm the system was going nuts.  DVA messages were
broadcast as the board changed, announcing "the next train to arrive...."
with a wrong destination, and that it was due to depart - even though the
screens showed 4 mins to arrive.

Another fault was that any train terminating at Central was shown as
"Special", with station staff manually announcing the train as a Central
working on arrival.  Macarthur via Sydenham trains had Redfern missing.
Most trains were announced as going to "Regent's Park and Bankstown via
Sydenham" (yes, even though Bankstown is before Regent's Park).  It scrolled
through a huge amount of screens before "Special" was shown again, all in
the space of 30 seconds - similar to keeping the Page Down button pressed on
a word processor.  The SRA people were busy with their mouse changing
screens AND operating the DVA. Obviously, to be a good system it is
essential the screens and the DVA be linked.  Still, no scheduled times are
shown, just the minutes to arrival.

While I personally think that if the system runs like Martin Place it will
be better than the original indicators.  However, the old boards seem to
have been decomissioned meaning that the plasmas which are the latest
guinea-pig (apart from Martin Place) are the sole means of information.  The
Station Assistant wasn't much help, telling people to look at the boards,
then closing his door!

In all seriousness, for the time being catch the next available train and
look at Circular Quay or Museum to see where you will end up!!!

"Hubert Lam" <hubert@imap4.com> wrote in message
> why such disorganisation though? install them and move them again?
>
> "Paul McCabe" <@> got bored on Wed, 31 May 2000 21:43:39 +1000 and so
wrote the following:

>           Town Hall platforms 1, 2 and 3 have had them relocated also (at
the Wynyard
>           end) some weeks ago - new poles were used as well.  Stickers are
also in
>           place with the RSA  logo saying "Station Passenger Information
Indicator