Re: SA's biggest passenger train

Mark Bau wrote:

> Strange news story.
>
> It doesn't mention how many cars were on the train, did it beat the Opera in
> the outback trains?
>
> It says the Port Pirie to Adelaide line was recommisioned, what, did they
> relay the old Broad Gauge? What are they talking about? I assume they mean a
> train actually used the platform at Pirie.

It was a very inaccurate story - you would think the ABC could do better.

The train was actually only 14 carriages long - 7 of these were GSR
sit-up cars (mixture of Overland, IP and Ghan cars) and the other 7 cars
were Murraylander cars (in either yellow or grey paint jobs).

The return working left Keswick Terminal for Port Pirie at 3.28pm with
EL56 (CFCLA) and GM44 (ASR) up front.

As far as being the 'biggest passenger train' maybe they meant in terms
of numbers of passengers?

By recomissioning the Port Pirie to Adelaide line I think they actually
meant the the track to the platform at Port Pirie was made available for
use - nothing else.

Martin.