Re: [melb] Holmsglen Accident

"Tony Gatt" <baulko@tig.com.au> wrote in message
8lp17l$6v7$1@bugstomper.ihug.com.au">news:8lp17l$6v7$1@bugstomper.ihug.com.au...
> > Could it be
> > <speculation> that the signal timed out and cleared because the train
> > stopped for so long?
>
> Very far fetched speculation I am afraid. Signals operate from track
> circuits, not from timers under those circumstances.
>
> I dare not speculate on this, apart from being in a different state now, I
> got in too much trouble last time two trains collided :)

But that was a very healthy discussion, Tony. I am too tired now to recall
it exactly (having been snowbound in Katoomba last night, when I was not
dressed for it) I seem to recall that the discussion was purely based around
what amounted to "extreme caution" once authorisation was given to pass a
signal at stop.

The two who were involved in the argument (you and someone else) were
arguing along different lines. You were arguing along the lines of the
instruction ("Proceed at extreme caution") whilst the other person was
arguing along the lines of what the driver had been told, along the basis
that the information the driver at Glenbrook had been given led him to
believe that the line was clear.

Now I believe that you were both right, purely on the basis that nobody, in
any job, follows 100% of the regulations 100% of the time. So I therefore
think that the flaming that you underwent last time was unwarranted.

Given your knowledge of Victorian signalling (despite the fact that you have
been living in GOC - God's Own Countyr - for a while now) I think you can
make a contribution to this.

Dave