Re: Ford Train?

In article <3980FE57.79974B56@nmit.vic.edu.au> David Head <david@nmit.vic.edu.au> writes:
>From: David Head <david@nmit.vic.edu.au>
>Subject: Re: Ford Train?
>Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 13:30:31 +1000

>Yes, but FA does still operate SG trains, and I though the SG  at geelong was on
>FORD's side already, and SOmerton has SG & BG into their plant.

>I think  for rail to win back this  freight, new covered double decker wagons
>would be needed, and I cannot see who would order new ones in  numbers to
>satisfy the car makers (ATN might ???)

>Was lost this traffic, Vline's government deline, truck lobby, delays, capacity,
>timing???

>Regards,
>David Head

In the case of the Ford traffic from Somerton,according to the transcripts
from the original Neville inquiry it was delays,damage to cars en route and
cost.
Rail was simply too expensive compared to road ,given that these days cars can
be delivered directly from the manufacturing plant to the car dealer.
The only fixable item that rail can address is covered wagons which will
protect the cars more, costs and delays are totally beyond their control.

MD