Re: Re-Gauging other than to Standard Gauge

In article <Z1ye5.167$AU.7842@news0.optus.net.au> dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) writes:
>From: dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
>Subject: Re: Re-Gauging other than to Standard Gauge
>Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 08:29:45 GMT

>Chris Brownbill (cbrnbill@enternet.com.au) wrote:
>> The question about the lines in SE SA a couple of days ago started me wondering
>> about all the re-gauging that has happened in the history of Australian
>> Railways, how many have there been which were NOT re-gauging to Standard gauge?

>Serviceton - Wolseley from narrow to broad.

>Moonta from broad to very narrow?

>Cheers
>David

Whilst not directly related to guage conversions ,does anyone have a good
historical account of why SA went both BG and NG.
We all know the folklore of the 3 guage fiasco between NSW,VIC and SA and this
in part explains why SA went BG ,but I havnt seen any rationale explanation
for the NG bits ,given that some of the NG lines were major lines (eg terowie
to BH )
Also having initially Wolseley to Mt Gambier as NG connecting to a BG main
line makes no sense at all.
The only part of the NG Network that does make some sense is the Pt Lincoln
Div.

MD