Re: Brief trip report MEL-CBR-MEL and thoughts on 737 vs A320 cabins.

JF Mezei (jfmezei.spamnot@videotron.ca) wrote:
> James C wrote:
> > TGVs also uses traditional track, those traditional tracks are with lev=
> el
> > crossings, there have been quite a few accidents and derailments due to=

> > notorious lorry drivers in Europe, but in all the accidents TGV still s=
> tand
> > upright after the derailments and injury are none on the train itself.

> But the TGV does not (and cannot) travel at high speeds on tradictional
> tracks. For one thing, a different power system is used, and the tracks are
> absolutely incapable of high speed.

The overhead voltage is not the governing factor. The limiting factor on
the speed is the signalling system, which for reasons of alignment and
level crossings is not 300km/h. I think the maximum TGV speed off the high
speed lines is 220km/h, although 160km/h is more common.

> Is there the commitment and money to build a truly high speed rail line in
> Australia ? =

Only Speedrail.

> Is there even enough money to build the Alice to Darwin (conventional) rail
> line ?

Yes, this project has been fully funded for some months.

Cheers
David