Re: [Melb] Connex Train

> Advertising hillside trains is as stupid as advertising a taxi. When
was the
> last time anyone advertised silver top or black cabs?? Many of them
now use
> a central call centre so you don't know what brand of taxi you get,
and you
> are meant to take the first cab off the rank, regardless of how
smelly and
> dirty it might be.

Last Silver Top radio ad was when they introduced some sort of
automatic phone despatch (not being a taxi user at all (If I want to be
driven dangerously, it is cheaper to give my wife my car keys...only
joking - about my wife anyway) I think it was some system where you
have a pin number or something you can type in automatically without
speaking to anyone, someone who has a better idea can correct me) and
it wasn't that long ago Black Cabs advertised on one of the radio
stations.

The customer has a choice which cab they choose, although the
expectation is they take the first cab. All taxi drivers are supposed
to take any fare offering (hahahaha...yeah right, I remember a long
walk from Keon Park to Reservoir after my car broke down and it was
after the last Up train and being ignored by many empty taxis).

> So if I'm wonderfully impressed by Hillsides ads what can I do??
Nothing, I
> live near a bayside station and no amount of advertsiing is going to
enable
> me to catch the oppositions trains. If they want competition, why
don't they
> open all lines to all operators (Answer: it's a stupid idea, much
like 2
> train companies)

A better idea is promoting using the train in general, but I think TV
ads are an excellent idea. Yes it promotes Hillside/Connex but if it
shows lots of pictures of trains, people aren't going to know or care
it technically only applies to people from Epping to Glen Waverley,
they will see it as promoting the railways. And let's be realistic, the
real competition isn't the other railway operating company, it's the
motor car. Just look at the South Eastern Freeway or Eastern Freeway
during peak hour, and see the potential number of Hillside/Bayside
customers still available. Or judging by the large number of trucks on
the South Eastern off peak when I go to or from Deakin Rusden to
Bourke Road, there's plenty of opportunity for Freight Australia too!

--
Michael Walker
Email: wk@cgsc.vic.edu.au

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/