Re: SLR - full 'ghost' service running

"Matthew Geier" <matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au> wrote in message
8l5vsv$8cn$1@spacebar.ucc.usyd.edu.au">news:8l5vsv$8cn$1@spacebar.ucc.usyd.edu.au...
> Went for another walk today at around midday. I walked from Jubilee Park
> to Wentworth Park. In that time (approx an hour) I managed to get photos
> of 6 of the fleet of 7 trams operating on the extension.
>
>  They appear to be running a full service timetable. Trams were
'terminating'
> at the new platform at Wentworth Park and then after changing the
destination
> to 'Not in Service' proceeded to run to Lilyfield and back. Trams were
> observed to stop at both Jubilee Park and Glebe stations as if they really
> had to pickup/setdown at those stations. The were 12-20 minutes apart.
>
>  Workers were at both stations doing finishing up type of work. Jubilee
> Park, some brick layers were fixing damage to the retaining wall capping,
> using a large tube of glue to stick the facing bricks down.
>
>  Glebe station was a hive of activity with the inbound platform being
> water-jet cleaned. Some 'offical looking' people were inspecting the
> pedestrian crossing of the tracks, fencing being installed.
>
>  2 trams were observed stopping short of Glebe and dinging the workers
> off the line before proceeding and then not actually stopping at the
> platform!
>
>  Photo's will appear on my web site shortly.
>
>  I'm only in the area at luch times, so I can't say if they are
maintaining
> the full ghost service 6am to Midnight, as the operational timetable
appear
> to be, or just running during the day when more staff are rostered on.

I had my first drive on the extension on 26 June performing tests for the
engineers. Much stopping , reversing and negotiating different sections at
varying speeds. Went through the Glebe tunnel at only 20km/h on the down,
covered Jubilee Park to Lilyfield a number of times including wrong track
running. All this running was with the ATP off. At Rozelle Bay assisted in
determining the postion for the convex mirror on the Up platform. Was
relieved at Jubilee Park at end of shift.  My claim to fame was that I was
the first driver to drive on the extension, earlier testing was performed by
controllers doing the driving honours.

Had a trip to Lilyfield last Monday afternoon with the training officer
supervising, ATP was operational, sections where speed boards are in use
were highlighted.

At commencement of shift on Tuesday was told 'ghost' service was operating.
Had four trips to Lilyfield before it was announced at about 16:15 that the
extension was closing for the day.

Ted