Re: [Vic] West Coaster 15/7 Sat

In article <3972EE0D.95AEDD70@harnessnet.com.au>,
  Craig Haber <albatross@harnessnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Stuart Thyer wrote:
>
> > connecting rod, the damage is similar, except much more has been
damaged. R
> > 711 can be expected to be out of service for a considerable amount
of time,
> > parts are thin on the ground.
>
> It's not too bad, it certainly won't be back next week, the estimated
time out
> of traffic is 2-3 weeks.  Certainly not the end of the world!

Craig,

Commiserations to the team at WCR.  I was taken aback to read of the
failure of one of my favourite present-day locos.  I hope this doesn't
set things back too much for WCR who seem to me to be running a
passenger railway the way it ought to be run.

Surely the extensive damage to the motion gear means that 711 couldn't
be repaired that quickly without cannibalising parts from another R ?
Unless WCR had some spare connecting rods made up for just such an
occaision (heres hoping ...:) )  I suppose it's also possible that
there are some spares floating around from 'broken up' locos.

As an aside, I remember reading years ago about the restoration of an
inside cylindered loco in the UK from which the connecting rods were
missing altogether.  They had replacements milled up in China to order
- which was much cheaper then having them made locally.  Any spared
part can be made - at a price.

Good luck with the repairs anyway.  Let's hope 711 isn't out of action
for too long however the repairs are effected.

David A.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.