Re: Stopping all stations to...Kew?

"Andrew J. Buntine" <jbuntine@deakin.edu.au> wrote:

> I'm trying to do some research on Melbourne's old 'Outer Circle' line. Can
> anybody point me in the right direction?

The "Outer Circle" route was completed in 1890 and broken at the
Northern end when the Fairfield Park to Riversdale section closed in
April 1893, with some parts being removed quite quickly.  At the
Southern end, the Oakleigh to Ashburton section, which included
Waverley Road closed at the end of 1895, with the section of the
Burnley line from Waverley Road to Darling was also closing at the
same time.  Finally the Camberwell to Ashburton section closed in May
1897.

Trains did return to the Riversdale to East Kew section of the
Northern end and to the Camberwell to Ashburton section, but the
Southern section to Oakleigh was never reopened, though it was not
dismantled until circa 1940.

Today, the Camberwell to Alamein line is the only section of the Outer
Circle remaining

Cheers,

Bill