Re: [NSW] Connections between suburban cars

In article <8F7488B4AgunzelT333@vic.news.telstra.net>,
Michael Kurkowski  <usenet.spam@gunzel.net> wrote:
>Hubert Lam <hubert@imap4.com> said:
>
>>sometimes I see the black rubber tubes connected in between the 4th &
>>5th cars (non-T/G sets) and sometimes I don't.
>>
>>What is in those black "tubes"? (apart from electrical connections-
>>-duh!!!)
 Exactly that, electrical connection !.

>Sounds possibly like the MU cable. This allows one four car set to control
>another four car set. Later, on the T and G sets, these were integrated
>into the accessory plug on the Scharfenburg coupler. Can't explain why
>you'll see them on some sets but not on others - other than location of the
>MU plugs? I believe any train/locomotive would have two sets of MU
>connections, one on each side, to allow either locomotive to face either
>direction - Only one set of plugs needs to be connected. e.g.

 Yep. Since some cars, (like the trailers) can be either way around, and
trailers need to connect to trailers as well as power cars, more connectors
and jumpers than actually needed are available to make sure all cominations
can connect.
 They do some stuff to prevent certain combinations. Two C cars cannot be
joined back to back. Both have fixed jumper cables and no sockets. :-)
But on the cars where you see the cables not connected, its probably 'cause
they are connected on the other side of the passenger gangway and not so easly
seen.

 Different series of cars have different cables. K and C sets have a 415 power
bus cable as well as the MU cable. Then there are the standard pair of air
hoses under the coupler.

 On the semi-perminatly could C-T pairs on the C and K sets extra jumpers
run between the cars under the coupler near the air hoses - presumably
1500v traction current feeds, these cables appear perminantly connected
 - the pan being on the trailer on those sets so the power has to jump cars
some how.

 Tangara's neatly put it all in the coupler.

 The old 'red ratters' had 2 pairs of jumpers, red and black. All cars had
2 pairs of sockets, on each side. One pair was jumpered over with 'loose'
jumper cables.