Re: eastern suburbs line

I often thought, if they had brought the Eastern suburbs line to the surface
just east of central, it could have fed into platforms 22&24 and the
corresponding lines to Erskineville, and saved about 3km of tunnelling and
two underground stations, and would have had rather more convenient
interchange at Central and Redfern. These lines were replaced by the ESR and
are now not used by surburban trains.

Was this not thought of, or not physically possible? The space between
Elizabeth St, Castlereagh St and the Goulburn St parking station is not
terrific.
Geoff

>> > Almost all South coast trains will terminate at Redfern. ...Straight
into platform 9 and terminate, returning to the South