Re: Airport Railway Questions

On Sat, 15 Jul 2000 10:13:41 +1000, Neil O'Connor
<noc@nospam.acslink.net.au> wrote:

>1). If during the construction of the ESR, central platforms 26/27 were
>built intended for a future Airport railway link, why were they not used
>instead of the current above ground option (platforms 20/21) at Central?

There would have been no where for them to go after Central without
spending even more money.

>2). Was there any concern or special action required tunnelling beneath
>runway16R/34L? I would imagine that 200 tonne 747/400s thumping onto the
>construction zone during touchdown (or up to 400 tonne during takeoff)
>could be a concern.

Should have been too much of a problem for two reasons. Firstly the
tunnel had the conrete sections placed as the machine went, and
presumably pumped concrete or some other fill between the wall and
earth gap. Secondly the place where planes hit 16R I think would be
just a little south of where the rail line crosses (but not 100% sure)
 Ashley Wright, Canberra, Australia
 www:  http://www.ozemail.com.au/~ajwright