Re: Drugs on trains

Yes, tis I.

I didn't actually suggest train guards in the old style of sitting at
the back of the train. What I did suggest was conductors, or "roving
guards" (which are basically the same thing, a la V-line).

I also advocated all the stations being staffed.

The journalist pressed me to name the problem lines and so I indicated
where, to my knowledge, IV drug use on trains has been reported. I've
personally observed it twice on the #86 tram and once on the Epping
line. Thats probably because 90% of my travel is done on these two
routes.

Vaughan

In article <396bd20b$0$11188$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>,
  "James C" <noemail@emailsux.com> wrote:
> <PTUA secretary Vaughan Williams >
>
> Is this the same person that visit this forum regularly?
> > I'm not sure one of the solutions suggested, returning guards to
> > trains, is going to make any difference though. As suggested in
other
> > threads, and in the past when it comes up, railway guards were
there to
> > guard the train in a safeworking sense. Every time it was suggested
> > guards roam the trains in Melbourne, all hell broke loose. I think
it
> > happened for a short time and then they stopped doing it (safety
> > reasons?). Then the government got rid of them. If all the guard is
> > going to do is ride in their box up the end, read the paper and ding
> > the bell twice and shut the doors, I doubt that trains will be any
more
> > safe and secure than they are now without them. Just my 2c worth!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.