Re: [VIC] Log Trains Now Running Out of Bairnsdale

Nicholas Hurley wrote:

> Yesterday, (27/6/00) T392, T400 and T402 hauled the first log train
> consisting of about 30 wagons from Fenning's timber mill near Bosworth Road.
> Trains are still not going any closer than that to Bairnsdale Station. These
> trains are expected to run daily replacing the loading operation at Hillside
> which has now finnished.

This is fantastic! Who would have thought when train services were "Suspended"
to Bairnsdale, that we would ever see a train back there again. BTW, are the old
wagons next to the freightgate at the station still there? If so, any plans to
remove them?
This should give hope to all other locations where train services have been
"suspended" but the track still exists (Cobram, Cranbourne - Nyora, Maffra[??]
etc.).
Does anyone know any of the plans for Coldstream?

> Also The Save Our Train Community Action Group and
> National Express has organised a public meeting on the 6th of July to
> announce the results of National Express' feasibility study into the
> resumption of passenger rail services returning to Bairnsdale. S.O.T.A.G.
> are expecting N.E. to announce the resuption of services to Bairnsdale at
> the public meeting.

I think that the resumption of passenger rail services to Bairnsdale would
breathe new life into the area. I was born in Bairnsdale, and I can remember
when the midday train used to arrive in Bairnsdale, it would be 3 to 5 cars full
of people. Now it is 1 or 2 partially loaded buses. This is because the bus trip
from Bairnsdale is so boring, most people from the area choose to drive or be
driven to Sale to catch the the train. The train trip is much more scenic and
acessable. My elderly Grandmother used to be driven from Metung to Sale (approx
110 Km) as she couldn't manage the steps on the bus.
I think that it would pay off for NX in terms of community support and increased
patronage to resume services to Bairnsdale. I think that the fact that they are
announcing the outcome of the report in a town meeting, rather than from afar is
a positive sign, as if they plan to announce no services, you would think that
they would be scared of being lynched!!

Sam Eades