Re: VIC government probe into standard guage

James C <noemail@emailsux.com> wrote in message
396ac191$0$11165$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:396ac191$0$11165$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> The only problem would be V/line Passenger as V/line trains would have to
> convert to BG as well, hence inflexible.

The article DOES say it wants to convert freight lines only. Systemwide
gauge conversion has been done before in Sweden (I think, or Switzerland).
IIRC, a study was done to find the best way to do it and whether it was
practical to convert everything. The result was, the suburban system was
left at it's present gauge and everything else was converted. I don't know
what the gauges were.

--
Matt Smith
Brisbane Australia.