Re: X43 Rolls into Bairnsdale

Brian Evans \(IOM\) <bevans@omni.com.au> said:

>Hi,
>
>Can someone please tell me why the loco down to bairnsdale run push
>-pull. Is it not possible to run around in bairnsdale yard?  Does anyone
>have a track diagram (current) of bairnsdale yard?

The log line doesn't quite run into Bairnsdale yard, and stops short by a
small number of kilometers. At the log loading point, there is no run-
around track. The log loading point, to my knowledge is also completely
fenced off with one entry gate for the train (and of course for cars/people
somewhere, assumably). Thus, the train doesn't make the complete trip to
Bairnsdale station.

How much extra would it have cost to allow the train into the station yard,
for the locos to do a run around, then back on their merry way to Melbourne
I wonder? I am assuming it was a cost thing, as is everything else...

Michael