Re: Pork-barrel railway to nowhere

In article <8kgibl$j9g$1@nnrp1.deja.com> Michael Walker <wk@cgsc.vic.edu.au> writes:
>From: Michael Walker <wk@cgsc.vic.edu.au>
>Subject: Pork-barrel railway to nowhere
>Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 01:41:11 GMT

> http://www.theage.com.au/bus/20000710/A61827-2000Jul9.html

>AARc talking up the Darwin Alice Springs Railway. They obviously seem
>to think it is worthwhile, obviously they don't read this newsgroup!!!!

>--
>Michael Walker
>Email: wk@cgsc.vic.edu.au
>ICQ: 78913383

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Interesting that the article admits that the annual revenue from the line
needs to be a mere $90M PA and this will be achieved with one train per day.
By my reckoning this means a track access charge for this train of a mere
$246000 per trip.
I sure  hope this train is carrying a bit more than flowers or cattle.
Interesting question , are there any bogie cattle wagons still in existance on
SG?

The other interesting point is that from the Consortiums point of view it is
extremely worthwhile that this line is built ,as most of the members of the
consortium are large construction / enginneering companies who will get a lot
of the work themselves.
 I liked the phrase "complex finance package ".
I bet it is.

MD