Re: (MELB) finally rode the 4D

> well i finally rode the 4D yesterday (Tuesday) morning, i caught the
8:45
> FSS to box hill express and i must say i am impressed.
> i especially like the way the doors open between the carriages.

Very quiet too, although I presume you couldn't hear it above your
walkman playing your 1984 Amy Grant tape...8^)

On a serious note, does anyone know much about the new rollingstock
being ordered? Will it be much like any of the existing stuff that we
can compare it to? I presume we would be looking at air conditioning,
carpet, comfortable seats, covered interconnecting doors between the
carriages (it always struck me as being odd that the old red wooden
country carriages had covered interconnecting doors, even though for a
young kid riding on the train to Bendigo it was a real challenge to
jump from one carriage to the other given they tended to sway and rock
extrememly independantly relative to each other...,but the newer Comeng
suburban rolling stock had a crappy arrangement with the open walkway
and chains. These carriages would have had to be the last rollingstock
made this way before covered walkways between carriages came in),
panoramic windows, etc. Much like most of the boring designs of the
last 10-15 years...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.