Re: The cost of Victoria's privatisation

On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 08:04:02 GMT, wk_cgsc@my-deja.com wrote:

>http://www.theage.com.au/news/20000706/A54900-2000Jul5.html
>
>The above article basically describes how following privatisation, it
>took the City of Moreland over a year to receive a reply from VicTrack
>about beautifying works beside the Broadmeadows line between Jacana and
>Glenroy. Plus VicTrack wanted $1090 consultation fees for liasing with
>Bayside Trains and ARTC. And all they wanted to do was plant a few
>trees to make the railway line look less like a rubbish tip (I would
>have thought it was Bayside Trains or VicTrack's job to look after the
>line in the first place! I would have thought they'd have jumped at the
>offer to pay for things they should be paying for themselves, instead
>of making the Council pay ridiculous amounts of money for
>the 'privilege' of landscaping the track alignment...)

It should be pointed out that it is not a private company that is
charging the fees but a government department, one that is making a
profit too I believe. Far from it being the cost of Victoria's
privatisation, it is a symptom of Corporate Victoria. Rather than
electing a Premier and a Government, we seem to be electing a CEO and
his board.

BTW, VicTrack withdrew the fee.

Les Brown
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose.