Daylight Overland [V/SA]

4 days later returned on daylight Overland service.
While at Keswick terminal saw NR 94 shunting Indian Pacific carriages
as well as helping out Overland’s motorail wagon. Left Keswick on time
and
Slowly climb up Adelaide Hill. The train manager did complimentary on
the scenic spot as well as the history of the line and nearby township.

The Overland cosists:
„˛Melbourne

BL 33 (steel link) again did the honor
Motorail wagon+Indian Pacific Baggage car with smoking
compartment+Coach (Nankuri)+Coach (purpawi)+coach (Mururi)+coach
(chalaki)+Kookaburra Club +Kookaburra club+Roomatte (Allambi)+Twinette
(Yankai)+Twinette (Tawarri)+Indian Pacific Twinette with deluxe
compartment + Power car

This must be the longest consist I ever seen since AN days.
There were number of speed restrictions on the hill due to sleeper
replacement program. We were 20 minutes late while pulled in Murray
Bridge station. In between Murray Bridge and Adelaide there were 5
tunnels, only one of them was specially high leveled for double stacker
trains. Most of the stations between Belair and Murray Bridge are still
there and in good condition. Hopefully one day they will receive
commuter service from Adelaide. Mt Barker Junction to Victor Harbor
line still hasn’t receive BG line from Adelaide. We made 2 stops at
Murray Bridge. After leaving Murray Bridge cross the Murray River and
off to Melbourne again. It seems to me there was a branch line branched
away to the left of the mainline, also there are tracks underneath the
Murray River Bridge right beside the River.

Tailem Bend is the next major township, looked like a major town with
huge population. The station still in good condition and even has a car
park. Several Weggman’s carriages store in the yard. But Overland
chooses to bypass it at 115kph. We got closer to the state border and
call at weed overgrown station of Bordertown. Picked up a few
passengers and continue try to catch up with the loss time. Parts of
the line were receiving upgrade and concrete sleepers. There were track
workers everywhere along the line. Speed restrictions almost
everywhere. The train manager announced to everyone there is no clear
state border sign except when you are in Victoria, the track will be
worsen and vibration will start. This is due to Ararat-Bordertown
section still not yet receives welding and concrete sleepers. Indeed
few minutes after leaving Bordertown the train started vibrate and the
traditional clicking noise came under the floor.

Wolsey, Kavina, keith and Nhill all looked like major township most
with stations in good condition but Overland didn’t give a damn and
whoosh pass those stations. Interesting enough, those station on the
Victorian side has got orange station plate, whereas on SA side mostly
still use AN symbol station sign. Finally we stopped at Dimboola for
driver exchange. Dimboola town folks weren’t really interested with the
train (not surprisingly how the timetable was set up). We didn’t pick
up any passenger at all. G530 was in the yard along with several grain
hoppers. Dimboola has got a few giant silos near the station. After
leaving Dimboola, the train manager told us a little bit history about
Wimmera River and the Grampians, which can be seen halfway between
Horsham and Dimboola. Even more grain silos at Horsham with RT shunting
in the yard. We picked up about 2 passengers before heading off. Murtoa
and Stawell looked like major centers with substantial population and
certainly are money trees for FA as giant silos are everywhere. Stawell
looked like a beautiful town with lovely church, townhall and beautiful
structures. However Overland preferred to earn its living elsewhere and
pass by these two towns at high speed. I must say Dimboola-Ararat
stretch must be the 2nd most scenic spot on this route right after
Adelaide Hill, with green wheat field, mountains, river and vineyard.

The train swing around a small lake near Ararat before entering the
station. Ararat looked bigger then any other towns on this route
(except Geelong of course). The station building is also the local
tourist information center. GNR”s GM 22 and 27 hauled a ballast train
stabled at Ararat yard. 2 railfans were taking photo of us.(they looked
like Chris Gordon and Michael Kurkowski to me!!!) Other then these 2
fans, nobody gives a damn to Overland in Ararat, we didn’t pick up
anyone here and quickly left the town.

Train left Ararat on time, BG line to Ballarat looked over grown, we
took a sharp left turn to Cressy line at Maroona, left the Portland-
Ararat SG line and off to Geelong. Interesting thing about Cressy line
is there are gum tress along both side of the track.

We finally pulled in to SSS, before that we were actually held at
Tottenham
 For 10 minutes because of after Geelong, we were 20 minutes ahead of
the time.

Overall I enjoyed the trip, despite it took more then 10 hours, it’s
less tiresome then XPT. Staffs are heaps more friendly then XPT.
 The scenery along the route is much better then between Sydney and
Melbourne and Sydney and Brisbane I must say. There is more variety on
this route. The train doesn’t run very fast at all, cars on the highway
easily over took us. Maybe a faster schedule is needed to stay
competitive. On top of that GSR ignored major towns along the route,
these towns can be a money tree for GSR if carefully marketed and
timetabled.

--
Cheers

James