Re: James C on the roof MEL- ADL Was - Sightings of aus.rail'ers

In article <39608a3d$0$16995$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au> "James C" <noemail@emailsux.com> writes:
>From: "James C" <noemail@emailsux.com>
>Subject: Re: James C on the roof MEL- ADL Was - Sightings of aus.rail'ers
>Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 22:37:58 +1000

>I counted 5 actually. There is a one right next to Murray Bridge station ,
>I'm not sure if it's a road bridge or tunnel, and does Footscrary tunnel
>count as a tunnel as well? if the answer is Yes and yes, there are 7 tunnels
>altogether between Melbourne and Adelaide.

>Cheers
>James

OK the Murray Bridge tunnel is a tunnel ,but its very short and would be
easily modified to handle double stacking.
By the same token the Bunbury st tunnel could be modified for double stacking
without a lot of drama simply as its a double track tunnel and both tracks are
dual guage,so 1 track at a time could be closed whilst its floor is lowered
without a major disruption to traffic.
Both SG and BG trains could still use the other track.
All the other tunnels will require the line to be closed whilst the floors are
lowered, a major impediment.

MD