Re: [SA]-[VIC] 2000 class railcars

"Chris Brownbill" <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote in message
39608619.BF7B6BD6@enternet.com.au">news:39608619.BF7B6BD6@enternet.com.au...
> Aside from tourist services, the only Passenger Rail news coming out of
Adelaide
> is doom and gloom - sort of reminiscent of the glorious 1970's in the rest
of
> Australia.  From reading Catchpoint there are rumours floating around
about the
> possible closure of the Outer Harbor line north of Glanville (there are
already
> 2 bus routes up that way dont you know), and also possibly the Tonsley
line (we
> want to build another O-bahn and we need the right of way).

The travel time by road to Port Adelaide and Outer Harbor by road from the
city centre by road is disgusting... with the upgrade of the track over the
Commercial Road bridge, wouldn't encouraging further use of the
Glanville-Outer Harbor section by introducing faster express services be
more appropriate? As for Tonsley, it could do with what the previous Labor
government nearly suggested - an extension to the vicinity of the Flinders
Medical Centre along with increased services.

> Adelaide's a great city, but there really are some sad cases in State
Parliament
> who really have no idea about transport, and in years to come this will be
> looked back upon as a dark period in transport planning in SA (right up
there
> with 1979(?) when the Modbury Corridor light rail project was cancelled by
the
> newly elected (lib) State Govt in favour of the modern, world class,
thoroughly
> up to date, export generating O-bahn).

The Northfield line east of Main North Road has been used for landfill
too... It could have been extended to Modbury quite easily once.

> BTW, does anyone know what's the latest on the Murraylander tourist train
> proposal?  This was due to start months ago, but I've not heard anything
for
> yonks.

Sorry, I've been out of touch with things beyond what I see from living
about 2 km from Blackwood station, as I don't commute into Adelaide these
days (certainly not like the old days when I caught 20 trains per week for
work alone Blackwood - Adelaide Gawler Central and return).

I still don't know why a shuttle bus service couldn't be implemented for
Technology Park / Uni of SA Levels Campus / Mawson Lakes to connect with
trains at Green Fields.

Regards,

Arthur.