Re: [Melb] Dynamic Fairways for Trams

Transponders operate on an almost random basis with no control by the
tram driver. And Vicroads are slack at maintaining the loops and so
on....

I'd prefer, if we can't have Swiss-style switches, just to have very
short traffic light cycles together with enforcement of the fairway
system (ie, get out of the way!)

Or perhaps (joking here, though some people I know would say this
seriously) trams should have the same priveliges as emergency vehicles -
 as long as they ring their bell they can go through red lights and the
cars have to get out of the way!!!

Vaughan

In article <395D760A.4FBC@iprolink.co.nz>,
  David McLoughlin <davemclNOSPAM@iprolink.co.nz> wrote:
> Tony Gatt wrote:
> >
> > Chris wrote:
> >
> > > They should bring in a systenm that operates in Europe. The
driver of
> > > the tram or bus pushes a button or turns a switch in the cab to
bring
> > > off the traffic lights way ahead of the time that he gets there,
thus
> > > clearing the intersection of car traffic.
> >
> > Whats wrong with just using the transponders to trigger the light
cycle?

> As I said, Melbourne's trams have transponders. They are the "switch"
> which Chris refers as being installed in European trams (which had
them
> first).
>
> David McLoughlin
> Auckland New Zealand