Re: Validators that NEVER work

I spent Saturday travelling around Wien (Austria) on an all-day ticket.
There, the validators DO work.  This excellent system has no barriers; a
ticket is validated once (ie on the first trip) and is available for trams,
buses, suburban trains and the metro.  People do not seem to cheat the
system.  I had a second day of travel on Sunday.  At 6.25 [on a Sunday
morning!] an inspector boarded the tram.  Every one of the 20 passengers
had a valid ticket.

Unfortunately, whenever government-sponsored visits looked at overseas
experience, they ignored the good ones.  Whenever we imported overseas
talent it was from UK, and not from places where public transport is
organised well.

Wien also has every tram stop named, every stop with a timetable for all
routes which stop there, announcements of every stop in advance, with a
statement of routes which connect there.
--
Regards
Roderick Smith

Peter Shute <pshute@melbpc.org.au> wrote in article