Re: Dookie

Rex Manning (mailto:RENEZELLWEGER@amygrant.freeservers.com) won a Nobel Prize for literature by writing:

> David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
> IGRh4.30$nP6.491449@news0.optus.net.au">news:IGRh4.30$nP6.491449@news0.optus.net.au...
> > Robin (stationmaster@ozemail.com.au) won a Nobel Prize for literature by
> writing:
> > > The sooner we get our own binaries group
> > > the better, I have been suggesting this for years
> >
> > It's not going to happen. Ausadmin will not allow any aus.* binaries
> > newsgroups under any circumstances. They are redundant in the age of the
> > WWW.

> what about alt.binaries.rail.australia?

Not a problem. There is no control over the alt.* hierarchy.

alt.binaries.pictures.rail.australia would be a more appropriate name. A
bit of trivia is that alt.binaries.pictures.rail was created by yours
truly.

But the point remains that binaries newsgroups are an anachronism. They
are from and era before the WWW as there was no real alternative at the
time. Binaries newsgroups are inefficient, expensive for news servers to
carry and have a very limited distribution. It's far more useful to put
your pictures on a web site. There are numbers free web hosts around.

Cheers
David