Re: NSW 90 class noise

PETer and susAN wrote:

> Saw our first NSW 90 class as we drove home to QLD.
>
> Not as noisy as expected. In fact not as noisy as some semi trailers. We parked the car and got out
> to watch so we would have heard any noise.

They are noisiest under dynamic braking, as the noise comes from the cooling fans.

> Location Belford level crossing with 9018 / 24 / 04 hauling 91 full batwing to the port than 9003 /
> 17 / 07 came past with 91 empty batwings. The full wagons had a smooth coal top so they were loaded
> by an overhead chute and not front end loaders.
>
> Anyone have the track grade at this location? I am interested to see if the grade was steep or not
> against the loaded train.

I'm not sure exactly where the level crossing is offhand, but Belford is at the bottom of a dip with 1
in 80 facing down (empty) trains, and 1 in 100 facing up (loaded) trains.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au