Re: Freaky Set Number!!

In article <01bf5fe9$58afd400$4c68868b@tfboles>,
Jonathan Boles <mousewithglasses@NO.CANNED.HAM.hotmail.com> wrote:
>Yesterday after noon, I saw a V set travelling through Town Hall platform
>3, which then terminated at NSY. And, the set number was **V21**,
>supposedly the set involved at Glenbrook!!!

 The set numbers are not fixed. It is possible that none of the cars in
the current set V21 were at Glenbrook, but an entire new consist that
got the next free number. It is more probable that 2 spare cars replaced
the front 2, and the set returned to service.

 The target could stay with the same set for some time, there wouldn't
often be any need to change them if the set stays in the same
depot, but over time cars would be exchanged with others.

 The AC motored outer suburban tangara appears to have kept its G7
target for its entire operating life. Tangara cars are less likely
to be mix & matched anyway due to the amount of work involved to
split a 4 car set, and the AC cars probably need to stay together
as the driving trailers probably have different software to control
the non driving motor cars, and the pair of pairs kept together to
compatablity reasons. I am surprised that it has managed to get G7
for so long. I guess Mortdale depot 'held' the target number for it
when it has needed to visit MainTrain for heavy maintence.