Re: New DMUs for Westlander/Inlander??

David Bromage wrote:

> thalytgv@my-deja.com won a Nobel Prize for literature by writing:
> > Quote from Railway Digest, QR is looking at ordering high speed DMU to
> > replace the aging locohaul stock currently use.  And the new stock
> > hopefully would be able to cover the journeys from Brisbane to
> > Charleville, Townsville to Mt Isa in one day.
>
> > I would say the DMU might need to have tilt function to overcome
> > difficult sections like Toowoomba main Range. any other suggestions?
>
> It should also allow 160km/h running between Ipswich and the foot of the
> range. Short of electrification, this is about the best possible solution
> for the line. IT should reduce the journey time from Brisbane to
> Charleville to about 10 hours.
>
> I wonder if QR might revive a passenger service to Warwick or Goondawindi,
> dividing the train at Toowoomba?
>
> On another note, I suspect Westrail will look closely at what QR does in
> the way of DMUs.
>
> Cheers
> David

In many years association with the GNR, I always thought that a higher speed
DMU could offer a real alternative on the T'ville - Mt Isa run. Now that the
line is all concrete or steel, and train order means few stops are required, a
high average speed should be able to be maintained. With somany long
straights, I would think the 1000k should be able to be done in say 12 hours.

--
Bruce L. Greening
bgreeni@ibm.net