Re: Automatic signal in double line block section

The signal you are talking about is an OUTER HOME and associated distant
signal.(remember that in NSW under normal circumstances there must be two
signals at stop protecting a train)
At Wingello(down only), Bundanoon and Exeter the line must be clear to the
starting signal before a train can be accepted from the signal box in the
rear,  so the outer home at Wingello allows a train to be accepted from
Medway Jnct. with either a train sitting at the starter at Wingello, or a
train to be shunting to or from the refuge. The outer home provides the
first signal to protect the train and the 1st home the second signal
providing protection.
According to the ARHS track and signals diagram cd Circular no.30 of 1921
says automatic signalling is introduced between Tallong and Wingello on the
up only with signal no 112 being the only intermediate auto. I think this
was reverted back to block telegraph when it was found unnecessary to have
Tallong and Wingello boxes manned 24hrs.
I hope this is not to confusing
On the south Danny

"David & Julie Donald" <dsjmd@hermes.net.au> wrote in message
387C49F1.3A5DC178@hermes.net.au">news:387C49F1.3A5DC178@hermes.net.au...
> I don't know the full details (perhaps Eddie could enlighten us all), but
there
> was a time in the dim, dark past when it was Double Line Automatic
signalling on
> parts on the Up Line only south of Wingello (forget whether it was when
Tallong
> and Medway was cut out).  However, it was always Double Line Block
Telegraph on