Re: [NSW] Headlights on suburban trains?

In <85gc21$pm1$1@gossamer.itmel.bhp.com.au> "Chris Stratton" <stratton.chris.cp@nospam.bhp.com.au> writes:

>I noticed yesterday that the L set cars in Wollongong have headlights. Do
>the cars used in Sydney have headlights as well?

There was a program to retro-fit some of the S-set power and driving trailer
cars with headlights when the Richmond line was electrified past Riverstone
and problems were occuring with the application of the rules surrounding
defective headlights.

Basically, Tangara's had headlights and S-sets didn't, so a Tangara set
travelling beyond Riverstone had to run at 25 kph, slowing to 15 kph over
level crossings, if the headlight was defective, but an S-set, which had no
headlight, could do normal track speed regardless.

So they started fitting headlights. However, it didn't get very far, and
some series of car had problems physically fitting everything in because the
destination boards were also starting to be fitted around this time.

So apart from the T, G, K and C sets which all have headlights, only about 2
percent of the S and R set motor and driving trailer cars have headlights.
All other motor and driving trailer cars don't have anything besides marker
and coupler lights.

I have no idea if any of the single-deck motor cars were ever fitted with
headlights though, but since they're all out of service I guess that's a
moot point.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport