Re: [NSW] V set cars

In <85cg7b$834$1@news1.mpx.com.au> "Hubert Lam" <hubert@imap4.com> writes:

>what is the difference between DJM/DJT, DIM/DIT (and whatever other D?M/D?T)
>cars?

>It's obvious that DKM/DKT are newest, but DJM and DIM is rather difficult to
>tell

Ok, the most obvious difference is that the DJM and DKM motor cars have GTOT
(Gate Turn Off Thyristor), aka 'chopper', traction control equipment, while
the others all have the older switched-resistor version. Just like the
Tangara's and the 'C' set suburbans, you can tell the DJM's and DKM's by
listening for the 'singing' of the chopper units when powering and during
electric braking.

I don't drive the intercity trains so I can't really comment too much more,
other than corroborating what you said about the the DKM/DKT pairs because
the exterior stainless steel fluting is different from the older cars (DJx
series and back).

Regards,

Craig.

--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport