Re: SA Gov's Public Transport Plans

Lachlan Smith wrote:

> > It sounds like there is an election coming.
> > In regard to the extension of the Glenelg tramway to North Terrace, what
> > will they
> > do with the statue in Victoria Square that stands in the way?
> >
> > John McCallum
>
> I don't think there is an election for at least 18 months
> There is also a big fountain on the northern side of the square. The best
> option would be to run each track around one side of the "diamond".
>
> Lachlan

The tracks can go either side of the statue - they did when the street
tramways were running up until the 1950's.

The fountain is a bigger problem, but a new one could be built off to
one side or other of the tram (sorry light rail:)) track.

I'm not sure where the terminus would be - presumably down by the
University of SA on North Terrace - opposite the Railcar Depot (with an
eye on connecting it to the Port line.)

A better way to connect it to the Port line would be to go left into
Currie St, right into Morphett St, over the bridge, then down War
Memorial Drive to the railway line.

And perhaps branch right into Grenfell St then left Frome Street
terminating at North Terrace - or down Frome Rd, through Botanic Park on
existing little used roads and join up with the busway which could be
converted to the tramway it was designed to be in the first place.

Cheers
Neil
http://members.iweb.net.au/~waller