Re: NSW Loading Gauge

David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
3875ACBB.935BA96B@ozemail.com.au">news:3875ACBB.935BA96B@ozemail.com.au...
> "Ross (Goldie) Goldspink" wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > Could some knowledge person out there fill me in on the height and width
of
> > the NSW loading gauge please,
>
> The loading gauge is not as simple as it sounds.
>
> >From 330mm to 1220mm above rail height, the maximum width is 2870mm.
> >From 1220mm to 2750mm above rail height, the maximum width is 2970mm.
> >From 2750mm to 3710mm, the maximum width reduces from 2970mm to 2350mm.
> >From 3710mm to 4270mm, the maximum width reduces from 2350mm to 900mm.
>
> Between Goobang Junction and Broken Hill, a maximum width of 2500mm
extends up
> to 5850mm above rail height.

And to make it even less simple a quick check of a book has revealed that :
- Indian pacific cars are 2972mm wide (but whats 2mm?)
- Sydney suburban double deck cars are apprximately 3030+mm wide.
- Cement pressure discharge wagons (1979) have a maximum width of  3033mm.

It would seem that the shorter the vehicle then the wider it can be to a
certain point.