Re: NR in Penrith Yard

David & Julie Donald wrote:

> NR71 (it appeared to be completely shut down) has been sitting in Penrith Up
> Yard all day on what appears to be a down/westbound special freight; I saw it at
> roughly 0710 this morning, and it hadn't moved at 1735.  The load is quite
> unusual in that the trtain seems to be the movement of three BHP molten steel
> ladles (suspect out-of-gauge) split by empty container wagons, presumably as
> match wagons, with AH811 on the rear - I believe that the AH is FreightCorp's
> "special trains" van (or however you want to describe it); there was no ETM on
> the rear of the train, nor did there appear to be any formal protection.
>
> Does anyone know what this is all about ??

Special Instructions
INY5 is restricted to a maximum speed of 30 km/hr between Port Waratah and Broken
Hill and 50 km/hr between Broken Hill and Whyalla.
INY5 Freight may run ahead of schedule as per Train Control discretion.
Each Ladle Wagons has a gross mass of 166 tonnes and are 18 metres in length over
the coupler faces. The ladle wagons shall exceed the Standard Rolling Stock Outline
by 235mm on both sides at 2060mm above rail level.
Accommodation Car AH 811 shall be occupied throughout the journey from Port Waratah
to Broken Hill by officers supervising the conveyance of the special train. Upon
arrival at Broken Hill accommodation car AH811 will be detached and returned to
Enfield by first available train. Maximum draw gear capacity of the AH811 is 550
tonnes.
Train Control, Broadmeadow, Sydney and Orange are to confer and arrange for all
Mandatory and Conditional Freight Trains to be worked clear of INY5 Special Freight.

The Special Out-of-Gauge Freight Train will be worked in accordance with the
conditions contained in the Northern and Western Working Timetable & Instruction
Pages.
National Rail Crewing Manager is to arrange provisions of crews.
Train Control, Broadmeadow/Sydney/Orange and National Rail are to confer and arrange
provisions of Suitable Main Line Diesel Locomotive(s).
The load Will consist of Cover Wagon, Ladle Wagon, Cover Wagon, Ladle Wagon, Cover
Wagon, Ladle Wagon, Cover Wagon, Accommodation Car AH811 which have been examined
and are safe for transit. The certificates are issued and the wagon numbers supplied
to the Yard Master, Port Waratah for the information of Train Crew.
Area Operations Managers Broadmeadow, Sydney and Orange, are to confer and where
required, arrange for Signal Boxes/Safeworking Stations to be attended for the
passage of INY5 Special Out-of-Gauge Freight.
The instructions issued by the Manager Rolling Stock Compliance & Service, for the
running of the above mentioned train for Sunday Evening 2/1/00 - Sunday Morning
9/1/00, will apply to this movement.
--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au