Re: [NSW] some history

Hubert Lam wrote in message <84nl5k$afq$1@news1.mpx.com.au>...
>Just looking for some history of how State/CityRail marshalled suburban
>trains before 1994--I remember seeing something about that "R" sets were
>different and all that (plus some info on things like "W" sets...I never
>really got a chance to get on a red rattler...apart from a repainted
Tulloch
>car!!!)

Aaaaahhhh - the red rattlers. I remember them (showing my age now)!

Basically (and open to correction from those in a better position to know),
the single deckers were targetted based on their depot - so there were
(originally) F, B, H and M sets for (respectively) Flemington, Bankstown
(Punchbowl), Hornsby and Mortdale depots.

Upon the introduction of the new carriages in the mid-50's (single deck
interurban and "sputnik cars) these cars were allocated the U and W
allocation respectively.

upon the delivery of the Tulloch double-deck trailer cars, some of  these
cars were inserted into the W sets (with power door operation) whilst others
were inserted into standard sets (non powered door operation). The sets
without pwered doors, with double deck trailers, were eventually to become
the M sets. The W sets were the 195X stock, with powered doors, single deck
motors and double deck trailers.

The set designations have varied over the years, and I do not have a full
listing. But what I do know (off the top of my head) was that the fors
air-conditioned set was numberer R1, and the carriages that currently
comprise the K sets were originally R sets. When they were converting the DD
fleet to be fitted with P/A systems, those cars that were modified were
formed into K sets. 2-car sets were T sets.

So the DD fleet was:

T - 2 car sets
S - 4 car sets
R - 2/4 car sets, A/C or forced air ventilation
K - sets fitted with public address systems.

This is going back a fair while though.

Dave