Re: Merry Christmas

Athan wrote in message <386F45D2.CEC32C64@nospam.bigfoot.com>...

>Dave Proctor wrote:
>
>> Alan B. Spencley wrote in message <386EE7CB.7923@nbnet.nb.ca>...
>>
>> >A century is completed at the end of 100 years and a millenium only
>> >happens when 1,000 years have passed.
>> >The third {post Christian} millenium started New Years Day 2,001 A.D.,
>> >{and this was about 3-5 years ago}.
>>
>> Who cares, We were celebrating the beginning of thje millenium which will
>> finish at the end of 2999. There is nothing to stop people celebrating in
>> five years time the start of the millenium which will finish in 3004.
>> Likewise, there was nothing to stop us 5 years ago from celebrating the
end
>> of the millenium which began in 995.
>>
>> Dave
>
>On Dec 31, 1900, at 10 a.m., GMT,

I thought it was 1400 GMT - given the 10 hour time difference, that would
seem right.

>Queen Vic signed the act that made Australia
>a federation. she did so...so that Australia would be so from the 1.1.01,
the
>beginning of the new century.  A wise old queen, she was.

LOL!

>I guess, this means the next century was reckoned at beginning at 1.1.01,
>along with the millenium, but any excuse for a piss up will do.

I will drink to that.

>Cheers, David, I raise my glass in your direction!

I will hold you to that when you get across to Melbourne in a few weeks - I
have some tennis tickets for you, and I expect to have dinner in that pub
that we went to last year in St. Kilda.

Dave