Re: (SA) SE Lines "could" be reopened...

In article <38A8088A.E3987309@ties.itu.ch>,
  Arthur Marsh <marsh@ties.itu.ch> wrote:
> Try:
>
> http://abc.net.au/news/state/sa/archive/metsa-14feb2000-13.htm
>
>                                 This Bulletin: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 8:14
CDT
>    LOCAL NEWS : South Australia
>
>    Old rail lines may be taken over by private operators
>    The State government is considering making an open market call for
> new
>    operators to take over largely disused South East rail lines.
>    A decision is expected within a fortnight.
>    The government says Australia Southern Railroad, which bought
>    Australian National in 1997, wants to surrender the South East rail
>    lines back to South Australia.
>    The government says an investigation by Transport SA and the
company
>    found that even if the government standardised the Wolseley to
Mount
>    Gambier line at no cost to ASR, any service would still not be
>    commercially viable.
>    However. Freight Victoria has expressed interest in running
services
>    on the Heywood to Snuggery line.
>    If a call is made for expressions of interest, the government would
>    set down a minimum requirement for services, including provision
for
>    tourist operations, and would ask bidders to outline what
assistance
>    they would require from the government.
>                  (C) 1999 Australian Broadcasting Corporation
It seems to me FV is very aggressively looking for new business, both
intrastate and interstate whereas ASR is rather "conservative" when it
comes to expandsion....

But then again compare ASR and FV is not fair , at least FV's locos are
newer and V/line-freight before its handover  still carried
considerable amount of freight,

--
Cheers

James